156

THE NEXT AGM
I don’t want to overegg the truckshunter pudding here but just in case you haven’t read Emergency Blogposting 155, the date of the next AGM has been altered to this upcoming Friday 31 July at The Sage Gateshead, to be followed by a riotous tour of the latest tat masquerading as Modern Art down at BALTIC.

To assist the terminally confused and feeble, I have helpfully posted a picture of one of the venues taken from inside the other. How co-operative can a blogger get?

The mention of a metaphorical truckshunter pudding just now has sparked yet another of Ian Robinson’s ludicrous ideas. Why don’t we invent a real Truckshunter Pudding? In order to be worth the name, and to satisfy my regrettably oversweet tooth, it would need to contain at least some of the following: bilberries, blackberries, almonds, apples, honey, sultanas, cinnamon, peches plats (naturally), chocolate, tapioca, clotted cream. I could go on.

I’m a lousy cook - but somebody out there should be able to concoct a confection along those lines. Please?

LITERALLY
With my background, you could be forgiven for thinking that I’m the sort of geyser who goes on and on about the misuse of the English language. Apostrophe's in all the wrong places - video’s, potatoe’s, pizza’s; overuse of awesome and great; inventions like prequel; euphemisms like collateral damage; unhappy abbreviations like vid and uni; regrettable Americanisms like semester instead of term.

Mostly, however, I tend to be equivocal about such things. It seems to me that no amount of lecturing or haranguing is going to change the fact that the ‘new’ plural of pizza is pizza’s or that decimate now means ‘almost obliterate’.

There is, however, one word which is changing its meaning radically before our very ears - largely thanks to the BBC’s sports (and other) reporters.

‘The Man U players are literally building a wall in front of the goalmouth...’ No, they aren’t. They are building a metaphorical wall there.

‘Tom Daley is literally the flying fish of British diving’. No, he isn’t.

Not only is the inclusion of literally gratuitous - omitting it would make the comments correctly-stated metaphors - it is also linguistically perverse. In the examples above (and dozens of others) it is used to mean its exact opposite.

Even the sainted Charlie Charlton, on BBC Radio Newcastle, has fallen prey to its misuse. This morning she was discussing the relative merits of women darts players and told us, in all seriousness, that Dutch players literally wiped the floor with ours. That I’d like to see.

Literally, like decimate, seems to be doomed. From now on, literally literally means its exact opposite: metaphorically. Thankyou, BBC.

CONTACT ME
Post comments on this blog or email me: truckshunters@googlemail.com

17 comments:

Hildie said...

But ... Ian .... I don't mean to be awkward (however, you know that already) ... but .... really,
it IS une pipe!
I like the photo of The Baltic taken from inside The Sage ...
watch out David Bailey!
I enjoyed the film at The Tyneside yesterday. Definitely, Truckshunters, you ought to give it a go. I am wondering if our friends in Whickham realise that they too would be very welcome to join us on our shunt to The Sage on Friday? It would be good to see you both again.
The last time I used the word literally on Truckshunters was when I said: "Ian literally dragged me onto the train at Tanfield Railway." That was the correct usage of the word now wouldn't you say?

Ian Robinson said...

Speaking of famous Belgians...the painting is by Magritte, the Belgian surrealist painter. I didn't get the point at first, either. Some clever-clogs had to point out to me the surrealist intent...

Hildie said...

Maintenant je sais! Je comprend bien! That was a quick course in
Surrealist Art .... merci!

Maureen said...

Can I just point out a comment placed on the previous blog by Vivienne? She also said that she'd bumped her head, so probably placed it on the wrong one in her panic, I hope that she's ok. (I received the email and deleted it, spybot and avg declared no threats but you might like to check just in case) Thanks for the warning Vivienne, please let us know that you've recovered!

Hildie said...

Vivienne, I,too, hope you're okay.... hope you didn't need stitches to your head-wound.
I'm afraid that I actually opened the scam email that said you were in Nigeria ... am I at any more risk than Maureen, who received it but did not open it?

Murphy and Dora said...

Hi Folks,

Sorry about placing my message on the wrong posting, but thanks Maureen for passing on my warning. I've also posted a warning on Murphy and Dora's blog, and said to use their email address in future if you need to contact me.

By the way my head wound isn't deep, but the nurse told me off for driving myself along to Shotley Bridge Hospital. (If you ever have a minor injury go to Shotley Bridge, as there was only one person waiting when I arrived, then another turned up prior to me being seen. I only waited 5-10 mins. Parking is free too!)

The nurse glued over the wound, but it's still bleeding a little.

Now about the scam.........

A couple of weeks ago I received an email displaying the MSN logo telling me they were updating their records, and I had to verify my name, password etc. I wasn't happy about this, so ignored it. A few days ago I received another saying that they would close down unused accounts, if we didn't respond. As I use Hotmail as my main account, (since changing my laptop, and I can now only read my blueyonder emails via webmail), I thought I better respond in case my Hotmail accout was closed.

I think that the MSN email was a hoax, and they've used my details to hack into my account and change the password. When I try to access the account I'm being asked for my grandfather's occupation. When I enter details I'm told my data does not match their records. I've never used his occupation to verify an account in the past.

If you receive an email from MSN it may also be a hoax. Don't respond to it!

I'll try to make it to the AGM on Friday, so hope to see some of you there.

Love, Vivienne xxx

ps I see I'm still logged into Murphy & Dora's account, so forgive this Comment coming from them!

Maureen said...

What a day you've had Vivienne! Pleased to hear that you are ok.
I think an early night is called for, accompanied by a soothing egg nog. (We had an Auntie who swore by them for their restorative qualities, couldn't fancy it myself!)

Ian Robinson said...

Vivienne...glad you're more or less OK :-)) Please try to make it on Friday so we can all inspect the wound!
EVERYONE...the Nigeria scam is widespread; I know several people who've been bothered by it. Never EVER give ANY details from an emailed request. Do NOT open attachments unless you KNOW they're genuine and/or were told they were coming. Try to do without Microsoft products of any kind. There are loads of good, easier and FREE email systems out there; I use Googlemail. Best of all, BUY A MAC.
Hildie: change your password or open a new non-Microsoft email account.

Lawrence said...

Hello Truckies... Just to let you know I am still drawing breath ... and still reading the blog every other day.

Speedway is a busy life at present with me taking on the press office at both Berwick and Newcastle now.

Hope you're all well and Vivienne - I just received the Nigeria email today.

With Ian highlighting the incorrect use of "literally" I've been checking bakck through my 2009 press reports and I'm delighted to report I've never been guilty as yet.

I'll always be lurking and will be more active come October 31.

I MAY....MAY even make the next AGM.... fingers crossed.

Lawrence

Vivienne said...

Hi Folks!

Thanks for your concern everyone, and I'm glad you're still keeping in touch with the blog Lawrence.

I'm much better now, and after washing my hair I no longer smell like a butcher's shop! I've still have glue sticking to my head and hair, but it's not as obvious as a bandage. Yes, I'm hoping to meet up with you tomorrow.

I had to set up another Hotmail account so I could report my hijacked account, but I may use Gmail in future. Thanks for your advice, Ian.

Thanks again. xxx

Hildie said...

Vivienne ... glad to know you're okay! Have you any way of checking if Margaret from Consett knows that the date of the AGM has been changed? She was intending to come when the date was next Tuesday, just hope she knows we've changed it. It would be a lovely surprise if Lawrence could make it.
I think I'll be better off getting off the bus in Gateshead, rather than continuing to Eldon Square Bus Station. Just don't give up on me ... I'll get there eventually. Ellie was hoping to come tomorrow... I had a email from her tonight to say she can't come ...
BUT - she said as soon as she knows the date of the very next AGM she will make plans around it. She also told me to tell Ian she has a recipe for a very indulgent chocolate cake .. though she didn't say if she would be making one for him!
Doesn't the moon look strange tonight? I've just drawn the blinds ... and I think it's looking peculiar.
Does anyone know what a Maize Maze is? I've just come back from visiting my brother in hospital - and when we passed this roundabout, where you turn off to Langley Park, there was a big banner and amazingly that's what it said!

Hildie said...

It has a kilo of chocalate in it .... Ellie's chocolate cake
....... I feel sure you're on a promise, Ian.

Sid said...

Hildie, the Maize maze is literally what it says. Its a field of grown maize....that has been cut, and trimmed, to form a living maze. All very clever stuff, and the crop is still able to be used when the harvesting is finished.

Vivienne said...

Hi Hildie,

You need to get a bus to the Interchange at Gateshead and walk down the bank in the direction of the bridges (High Level & Tyne). Turn right before crossing the main road to the High Level, and keep going and cross in front of the Tyne Bridge. Keep on walking in the same direction until the Sage becomes visible on your left-hand side. Hope this helps.

Murphy and Dora said...

Hi Truckshunters!

It was lovely to meet up with Ian, Ada, Hildie, Vivienne and Willingness at the Sage today. We've posted some of Vivienne's photos on our blog, so you may click on this comment to view them.

We're off on our travels again, so will keep posting a few pictures now and then. We may call and see Sid in Scotland before the caravan season is over.

Luv Murphy xx and Dora xx

Ian Robinson said...

Er....it's 'Willingly'!!!

Murphy and Dora said...

Oops! Sorry Willingly!