Gillian

THURSDAY 27 MARCH

See? I told you it was good, didn’t I? And I wholeheartedly agree with all the comments that have been made about Gillian, whose picture proudly tops off this posting.

As for the future.....

Several of my colleagues at BBC Radio Newcastle have expressed well-meant misgivings about ‘guest blogposting’. They’ve pointed out that not everyone will feel confident enough to draft a posting for the blog - indeed, they’re pretty amazed that anyone would ever agree to do so! I certainly don’t want anyone to feel self-conscious about being cajoled or emotionally ‘blackmailed’ into writing a posting for the blog. So, although any guest postings will always be seriously welcomed, I won’t be putting any blogsters ‘on the spot’ by actually inviting them. And I don't want any of us to put any kind of pressure on each other to draft blogpostings, either.

Instead, it’s a kind of ‘standing invitation’ to anyone who wants to send me a draft - as often or as rarely as they like!

Subject closed.

THE TRUCKSHUNTER QUESTIONNAIRE
You’ll be aware that several papers and magazines have what they often call a ‘questionnaire’. Some Z-list celeb of no interest to anyone except themselves is invited to answer a set list of questions of the ‘What’s your favourite colour?’ type and we all doze off quietly reading their answers. Well, all that changes as of NOW.

It seems to me that, over the last few weeks, truckshunters have been getting to know each other more and more. Snippets of personal history and individual opinions and tastes have leaked out in your blog comments for quite some time now but the revelations have been ‘unequal’ - different levels of revelation on widely differing subjects. I think it would be interesting to ‘regularise’ what we say about ourselves by homing in on specific questions.

Anyway, we can only see how it goes!

To start the ball rolling, how about an innocent question like....

WHO SHOULD PLAY YOU IN A FILM OF YOUR LIFE STORY?
Given complete freedom of fantasy, I would have liked W C Fields to play me. I would also like to have seen what a combination of Montgomery Clift and Paul Scofield would have made of my humdrum existence. (I make no apology for admitting, on air, that I’ve had a crush on Paul Scofield for most of my adult life. His stage and screen impact, his handsome, craggy face and sad eyes, his looming, mesmerising voice - what a sexy combination! If Sir Ian McKellen can admit to having had a crush on Derek Jacobi, then yours truly is proud to be the founder member of the Paul Scofield Appreciation Society. I was devastated to my core when he died last week.)

As everyone I’ve mentioned so far is, catastrophically, dead then I think Dame Judi Dench should be given the opportunity to portray me. She’d probably make a good job of it, too.

There could, of course, be a supplementary question here. Who should play the other people we all know? Who do YOU think should play me? Who should play Mike Parr? Or Sue Sweeney? Or Loz? Or Hildie? Or.......?

CONTACT ME
Post comments on this blog or contact me in any one (or more) of these ways....
ian.robinson@bbc.co.uk
ianstuartrobinson@googlemail.com
text 07786 200954 (while the programme is on-air)
call (between about 0545 and 0630 Monday to Friday) 0191 232 6565
Ian Robinson, The Nightshift, BBC Radio Newcastle, Spital Tongues, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE99 1RN

NOTE
Please bear in mind that the views expressed in this blog are my own and NOT the views of the BBC.

9 comments:

Hildie said...

Heck! That's a problem, Ian. The next thing you're going to learn about me is that I'm hopeless about films - "The Full Monty" and "Calendar Girls" being probably the last films I showed any interest in. Are you shocked?
Nevertheless, and being as you have asked so nicely, I will give this a little try. I'm going for Jimmy Nail for Kev as I heard on The Nightshift last night that Kev is really tall. Now Tim Healy is my guess for Sid, mostly because I don't know how tall Sid is. How about Michael J. Fox for Loz? Er .. Clint Eastwood for Ian? (or Robbie Coltrane - he's got the quick wit). Hayley Mills for Gilly? Helen Mirren for Maureen?
Bette Midler for me, I'd like that!

Hildie said...

p.s. Think David Jason would be any good as Pickler?

Lawrence said...

Good question Ian, and thanks Hildie, I'd quite approve of Michael J Fox doing me... errr... sorry.... playing me in a film I mean... ooops here I go again.. dig a hole and jump in.

If I were to pick someone to portray me.... hmmm who would it be? well I'm only 5'6'' so not a tall geezer - a bloke in his early 40s with North East connections as I'm sooooo rooted up here there has to be that connection.

Daniel Craig I think. He's not the tallest and about middle 40s and of course starred in "Our friends in the North" which is a good enough N.E. connection for me.

Now who else?

You know Hildie your list could well be THE definitive one... it's really good but in the interests of variety I'll have a blast anyway.

Ian - Brian Blessed, big and booming with a huge personality not to mention a beard.

Sid - Patrick Stewart, strong, able to overcome adversity with a smile and a positive twist.

Gilly - Olivia Newton John, always makes you smile.

Kev - A younger David Frost, knowledgable and informative.

Pickler - Tony Hancock - amateur radio and all.

Hildie - Julie Walters - funny and always entertaining.

Maureen - I'd have to go for Dame Judy here... just seems right.

Mike Parr - Danny DeVito

Sue Sweeney - Faith Brown or Marylin Monroe or Sue Pollard

Simon Hoban - oddly Michael J Fox

Jonathan Miles - (could anyone play this guy other than himself?) - hows about Graham Norton

Alfie Joey - Charlie Drake (a much younger version)

Ann Leuchars - Julie Andrews

Charlie Charlton - Halle Berry

Gilly Hope - Keira Knightly

Jen Bartram - Kate Winslet

James Clark - Russell Crowe

Jamie Wilkinson - Ronnie Barker

Paddy MacDee - Ronnie Corbett

All the above are said and offered with compete respect and amiration of all their fine talents.

Cheers

Loz.

gillian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kev said...

Wow! Jimmy Nail or David Frost - I'm flattered. The way today has been going so far Daffy Duck would be closer to the mark!
Now it's my turn.
In no particular order:
Hildie - Anne Robinson
Sid - Monty Don
Pickler - Desmond Llewelyn (Q in James Bond films)
Gilly - Victoria Wood
Loz - Peter Lawton (one of the original Rat Pack)
Maureen - Lauren Bacall
Ian - Jimmy Edwards (Headmaster in Whack-O)or possibly Bernard Lee (M in James Bond films)

Sid said...

Disclaimer...Age is irrelevant and this was Ian's idea...Ladies first.
Gilly....Rula Lenska
Hildie...Stephanie Beecham
Maureen..Maureen o'Hara
Sue Sweeney..Mae West.
Ann Lucas..Angie Dickinson
Marian Foster..Charlie Dimmock
Stan & Eddie..Ant'n'Dec
Paddy..'Dickie' Bird (sense of fair play)
Jon Harle..Paul Birch, 'Cannonball' Mike Malone.
Mike..Marlon Brando
Jonathan..Frankie Howerd
Ian..Leslie Neilson
Pickler..William Shatner, Boldly going etc.
Loz...Frank Sinatra.
Kev...Johnny Depp
Myself..Alan Alda, he was a tonic in MASH.

gillian said...

hiya..the boss first,

ian... santa claus.. bringer of good things, exciting interesting posts ect. and cos he looks like him too.

"top gun", is a fave film of mine and you are all top folk,it didnt take much thinking about, just popped into my head...so...

hildie.... kelly mcgillis..

maureen... meg ryan.


the boys..

sid....mike "viper"
alan titchmarch part timer on weekends.
double identity..

lawrence...lt. "maverick".
he tootles or "flies" around the north east in his jalopy.

pickler.."wolfman".
best i put that the reason is cos he loves outdoors and his dog.

kev.. sam "merlin" wells..
brainy.



bye all.

pickler AKA G8XGS said...

HI ALL

sorry late again , i am sure i will be hauled up over this!

as an experiment i thought i would see where this went, i have purposely not posted any of my suggested alter egos.
allthough i must admit "lozes" suggested alter ego for IAN in the form of BRIAN BLESSED is such a good one he, so masterfull ist he.
anyway i digress.

getting back to my idea i thought i would take the ego,s you have all suggested for me and keep them in order.
then i came up with a description of me and this is what happend.


A dodgy person in the guise of tony hancock inventing items to protect the user from further
harm going places where no man has gone before under the cover of wolfs body .


This is perhaps a bit far fetched but never the less there is a lot of truth in it i am a wiered sod after all.


its a pity if i was a different shape and a bit lighter/thinner i would loved to have been CATWOMAN
WOW would that be a story tell.

pickler AKA G8XGS said...

to coin a phraze in "marine-speak"
silonce finea-silonce finea

thats french sort of thing for
silence fished you know!!

but never the less a fact that after coastal stations had finished working Distress traffic after the incident was delt with they would transmit the "silonce finea" signal advising all other traffic that they would now be delt with.


so come on you lot i need some feed back on my self-description



a dodgy person in the guise of tony hancock inventing items to protect the user from further
harm going places where no man has gone before under the cover of wolfs body.


listed below are the triggers

hildie david jason =del boy
loz tony hancock
kev desmond lewelon =Q
sid william shatner= cpt kirk/tjhooker
gilly wolfman


and to Ian please forgive me for taking the stage as it were.