WEDNESDAY 26 MARCH

Brace yourselves, Truckshunters....

Here we go with the second of our occasional guest postings. This thought-provoking posting was written by Sid....

TRUCKSHUNTER POSTING II: SID
On the surface, this may seem like a story of great sadness and utter despair, but it isn't. What I am about to tell you brought me bucketfulls of hope and joy.
My youngest daughter Gillian was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at the age of 14 months. We had known instinctively that something was wrong, our two other daughters had been miles ahead of Gillian at the same age.

At the time I was a taxi driver in the North Tyneside area, I spent many an hour just sat alone on the Taxi rank.

One day I was sent to collect a fare from one of the local housing estates, it would have been about 10:30 am. It was a couple I was picking up, I remember thinking at the time that the female passenger didn't look very well. We hadn't travelled more than a few hundred yards when she told me that "I had trouble at home". I looked in my rear view mirror and explained in my best, friendly, taxi driver manner that she must have the wrong guy, my wife and I were fine thanks. "Its not your wife" she said "it involves a child, but don't worry she will be alright......no she won't be alright, but she'll be satisfactory".

The hairs were standing up on my arms and the back of my neck. That word ...satisfactory, was only ever used when Jean and I were
alone together, discussing how we would like Gillian to be as she grew up.

My passenger suddenly changed the conversation, as though her job was done, I had been told.
"Where are you going for your holidays" she asked. ( I wanted to say you tell me pet, you seem to know more than me ) but I replied "The lake district, in a touring caravan, in about 4 months time". "Well", she said "take your wet weather gear with you".

At this point they were at their destination, she came to the passenger side of the car and opened the door, she paid me, took my hand and said "God is good son".....and off they went.
Months later we were at Aira Force in the lake district, a lovely sunny day. Suddenly the clouds arrived from nowhere, the thunder started and we got drenched trying to run back to our car. T'was then I remembered what my "Angel" had told me about the wet weather gear. Oh how we laughed...nearly.
Time has shown that this person was right, and her message of hope and joy came at just the right time. Gillian is satisfactory, in lots of ways.

Thanks, Sid.

CONTACT ME
Post comments on this blog or contact me in any one (or more) of these ways....
ian.robinson@bbc.co.uk
ianstuartrobinson@googlemail.com
text 07786 200954 (while the programme is on-air)
call (between about 0545 and 0630 Monday to Friday) 0191 232 6565
Ian Robinson, The Nightshift, BBC Radio Newcastle, Spital Tongues, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE99 1RN

NOTE
Please bear in mind that the views expressed in this blog are my own and NOT the views of the BBC.

10 comments:

gillian said...

well... what can i say...

i started reading sids post and the tears started after the first 2 lines,
then the hairs stood up when i reached the part about the taxi passenger...

by the end my mouth dropped open and the tears were dripping off my chin..

but you know thats good because it shows you are reading something uplifting and just filled with goodness.
a shining beacon.

well done sid..xx
one for gillian too.

i was so moved, our paths cross with others in life in the strangest but most beautiful ways.

Sid said...

Please...meet the boss.

gillian said...

sid ? how wonderful,
gillian with such a lovely, happy smile.
says it all really.

ian?
i recognise one of alison bests pictures from her fabulous collection she was kind enough to send me the very same one among others.

gillian said...

ian you never said,
was it a "secret"?
alisons picture.

Hildie said...

Sid .... an extremely moving and compelling story, what a strange experience you had. It was reminiscent of the encounter Ian had on New Year's Eve. Did you never meet the lady in the taxi again? She certainly seemed to reassure you that you would be able to cope with your situation. That seemed to be her one reason for being there.... and you recognised the hope she gave you. It was a lovely though, nevertheless, strange thing that happened to you. I will forever wonder about it. Big kisses for Gillian X X X

Lawrence said...

Fine posting Sid and as the ladies above have said very moving. Great to see how happy Gillian, or as you say - The Boss - I bet she's a real character! And a source of joy for all.

I've met folk like your fare that day. I used to know one very well, funnily enough in North Tyneside, but lives change, family circumstances alter and people tend not to visit as often, but she certainly stopped me in my tracks at times with the things she'd say. Things she could have no knowledge of.

I tend to be a bit of a "head down.... nose to the grindstone" realist with problems, but I have to admit with some of the vast things in my head these days maybe a brief encounter with the "happy medium" I know might not be advantageous.

I'll keep the bloggsters up to date if I should.

Yeah.... uplifting stuff Sid. That was a good read.

Lawrence

Kev said...

Sid,
As Lawrence said, uplifting stuff.

I sometimes wish I had known the future but I'm glad that I didn't.

Love to Gillian

gillian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gillian said...

ps given the choice id come back as one of our "twizzles".
my dogs tara the sprocker or meg the collie.... they have the life of riley in here..

when i was young, many many moons ago we had a yorkie at home,
she was a terror a savage .
"dinky" not the size of a ten piece yet ruled the roost,.

had to be wrapped up every night in dads cardie fed the best lambs liver,
best chair in the house,

i remember looking at her laid in front of the fire..on a cold morning..
when i didnt want to go into work cos i was dog tired been out the night before,
thinking,.. wish i was our dinky..........

they say careful what you wish for too.

just thought id lighten things up..
bye

Sid said...

Afternoon folks, must tell you this one...
My wife Jean and I were out shopping at the Metro centre, in a fairly busy store Gillian put her hand out and touched a ladies rear.
The woman spun round and looked at me directly, then saw Gillian in her wheelchair with her hand still reaching out. She smiled sheepishly and said.."For a moment I thought my luck had changed"

Another time Gillian had swiped a handfull of ties from a rack, the store was in fits of laughter as we quickly put them back.

In Berwick a young man was heading towards us in a hurry, Gilly did the hand out thing again, he stumbled into the road to avoid contact with his crown jewels...I was offering apology's as we both laughed, red faced in the street.