FRIDAY 28 MARCH

GUY

There’s been much talk on the truckshunter blog recently about the grief and pain of losing pet animals - be they dogs, cats, mice or a rat called Guybrush - or Guy - who belonged to Lawrence until he died on Easter Day.

Lawrence sent me an email about it and believe me, that email touched a nerve that’s still very raw indeed over 4 years since the death of my own Guybrush - my wonderful dog Taxi. Some of you might remember the state I got myself into over it - indeed, I suspect that some of you may be the same people who sent me emails, texts and letters of comfort and support at the time.

The death of a pet - ANY pet - is a heart-wrenching experience. For however long or short the time they are with us, they are totally dependent on us for everything. We provide the right food for them at the right time. We make sure they get the right levels of exercise and life-interest as much as we can. We give them our time, our attention, our affection and our love. In many ways, we devote ourselves to them. We feel that we would put ourselves in harm’s way for their sakes. And we do these things knowing full well that, if nature takes its course, our hearts will almost certainly be broken somewhere down the line, and often not too far down the line, either. Lawrence adopts rats like Guy and Grosvenor - nourishes them, cares for them, loves them - knowing that his time with them is bound to be strictly limited.

This is how most of us are with our pets. So why do we do it, again and again?

Surely it’s because of what THEY give US in return for the care and love we give THEM. We get unconditional loyalty and love. We get companionship, calm and peace of mind as we tend to their needs. Many’s the pet who has steered its owner through bad times as well as good.

I don’t think a pet owner crying out for the loss of his pet should EVER feel self-conscious about his breaking heart. Surely, it is our inexpressible grief at the loss of an animal friend that makes us human.

LEND ME A RAT
Lawrence sent me a poem called Lend Me A Rat. I'll read it on-air before about 0200 on Tuesday morning's Nightshift. It says it all.

CONTACT ME
Post comments on this blog or contact me in any one (or more) of these ways....
ian.robinson@bbc.co.uk
ianstuartrobinson@googlemail.com
text 07786 200954 (while the programme is on-air)
call (between about 0545 and 0630 Monday to Friday) 0191 232 6565
Ian Robinson, The Nightshift, BBC Radio Newcastle, Spital Tongues, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE99 1RN

NOTE
Please bear in mind that the views expressed in this blog are my own and NOT the views of the BBC.

7 comments:

gillian said...

very well said ian.
my sentiments exactly.!

i enjoyed listening to the hour of you live last night when you werent a card board cut out.
please keep us informed if the peacock turns up, where could it be ?
bye

Lawrence said...

Hi all,

Phew looks like we have got our nightshift after all.... that was a worrying little blast of 5-Live for 5 minutes or so, good on ya Sue looks like Ms Sweeny's saved the night.

Ian... thanks for posting your blog on that subject today, you put it so very well and in such a way that the feelings of "geez lad pick yourself up this is daft - stop snivveling - dry those damned tears" etc etc etc fade into where they belong..... in a dusty old corner to be forgotten.

Over the last year I've lost 5 rats and my rat-loving mate has lost 2 of hers and on each and every occasion I've cried buckets of tears openly, alone, with my mate, in a vet's surgery for a euthanasia, and the most vivid was poor Sherry a gorgeous Black hooded rat with an amazing personality.

Sherry, as sadly many a rat does, suffered from a petuitory brain tumour and was obviously on her sweet little way out.

I slept downstairs that night, by her side, with her in her hospital cage.

Rats I should state are generally silent creatures, only squeaking at times of rough rat playtimes or fear and annoyance.

At 4am that morning Sherry began to squeak, mournfully ad quietly, as if to call to me to come to her, as if to call to her Dad to hold her tight.

I did of course and in 15 minutes she died in my arms and againm the tears flowed like an opened tap, silently dripping onto my arms and her little body. .... and as they are now as I relay this to you now.

They lodge in a very special place in our hearts and I remember vividly they devestation you suffered Ian at Taxi's passing. I certainly felt it for you and understood completely.

Thank you too for going to read "Lend me a rat" on the next Nightshift, it's a sweet poem that does indeed say it all and will hit a target in the hearts of all animal lovers and pet owners regardless of the pet being a rat, cat, dog or chinchilla - it will strike a chord with everyone.

And I'll be in tears again when it's read.... C est la vie.

It's awful to think, but with myself and my pal owning 30 rats between us... yes 30 (I have 12 now) there's an ocean of tears still to come. But it's eased with the sentiments in the poem.

Hope the Truckshunters find it enlightening and thank you for listening to these emotions and indeed accepting them Ian, and in so doing so helping me come to terms with what always seemed an exagerated reaction... but now of course I see it's perfectly normal.

Thank you.

Tomorrow night's programme will be very special in my heart.

Lawrence and the gang of 12..... Ziggy, JD, JB, Caffery, Grosvenor,Whiskey, Baccardi, Breezer, Snow-drop, Jasmine, Martini and Malibu.

gillian said...

hiya everyone,
touched the heartstrings lawrence.
i,ll class myself as one of the "normal" ones too then,
glad to be.,
bye.

Ian Robinson said...

Well said, Lawrence. Perfect.

gillian said...

ps id please like to know what dear hildie sent ian in the snailmail that he felt he had to hide it under his jumper ?
the mind boggles..

Lawrence said...

Thanks Gilly,

Thanks Ian,

:-)

Lawrence

gillian said...

anyone seen maureen ???