104

BONFIRE NIGHT

Remember remember

The fifth of November

Gunpowder treason and plot

I see no reason

Why gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot....


These days, of course, you’re far more likely to find Bonfire Night celebrated on the nearest weekend night to November 5 than on November 5 itself. Knowing me as you do, you’re probably expecting me to complain about it being a ‘movable feast’. You know the sort of thing by now....Why can’t we celebrate Bonfire Night on the correct date; on the fifth of November, which is the anniversary of an actual event. It’s as risible as celebrating May Day on the ‘nearest Monday to May 1’, which, incredibly, is what we do in England...

However, on this occasion, I have no intention of complaining. And that’s because I had such a great time on Saturday night in Stamfordham.

For those who don’t know Stamfordham, it’s a large and rather prosperous Northumbrian village 10 or so miles west of Newcastle, deep in the countryside and not far to the north of Hadrian’s Wall.

Over the last few years, the bonfire and fireworks display there has acquired quite a glitzy reputation locally and the village fills up with the cars of ‘tourists’ up to the time the bonfire is lit. I’m never quite sure how a community as comparatively small as Stamfordham manages to build such an imposing bonfire AND manages to prevent it being raided by rival villages (which is always what we used to do when I was a kid); but I’m glad it does. As usual it was huge and very skilfully built so that it made a truly awesome sight as it burned brightly on the village green in the clear November night. The blustery wind caught the flames occasionally and sent showers of sparks and embers into the sky.

As far as I’m concerned, there’s nothing quite as primitively magical as a big, powerful open fire. And - I suppose because open fires are uncommon these days - I really enjoyed not just gazing at the bonfire but also looking at the faces of all the other people gazing at it! Especially, of course, at the faces of the children; wide-eyed, open-mouthed and not a little afraid of the power of the leaping flames.

What amazes even more is how Stamfordham manages to afford such an impressive fireworks display. It lasted for almost 20 minutes and was very colourful and noisy - all the things a good fireworks display should be. The ‘ooohs’ and ‘aaahs’ alone were worth the journey.

It was like being in an episode of The Archers. The villagers had obviously worked tirelessly together for weeks (if not months) to build the bonfire and arrange the display. Well, it was worth all the effort.

Thankyou, Stamfordham.

CHILDREN IN NEED
As you can imagine, I’ve been pondering on what my cash-raising role should be on Children In Need day this upcoming Friday (14 November). As you may have heard by now, the solution occurred while I was pre-recording Monday’s programme and remarking on the fact that this is National Balloon Week. No really, it IS.

I’ve decided that I’m going to blow up balloons during the live part of the programme on Friday morning.

This may seem like a turgidly trivial thing to do to raise money. Where, I hear you ask, is the Ian Robinson who had his beard shaved off for Children In Need? The man who did some Extreme Ironing at the top of Grey’s Monument? Well, please believe me when I tell you that I find blowing up balloons just as intimidating as ironing on a two-foot ledge 100 feet up above the street. I loathe balloons. They scare me rigid. They are the devil’s work. People who enjoy blowing them up and festooning the venues of celebrations with them are clinically unwell. And those who find bursting balloons uproariously funny should suffer the same fate as Guy Fawkes all those years ago. Indeed, to be hanged, drawn and quartered is too good a fate for such wicked folk.

Nevertheless, I’m going to do it. BUT ONLY if you give me some CASH. LOTS and LOTS of CASH. Expressed in amounts per balloon blown up on the day. It’s for a good cause and it’s only once a year. So DIG DEEP.

That’s not an invitation. It’s an instruction.

CONTACT ME
Post comments on this blog or contact me in any one (or more) of these ways....
ian.robinson@bbc.co.uk
ianstuartrobinson@googlemail.com
text 07786 200954 (while the programme is on-air)
call (between about 0545 and 0630 Monday to Friday) 0191 232 6565
Ian Robinson, The Nightshift, BBC Radio Newcastle, Spital Tongues, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE99 1RN

NOTE
Please bear in mind that the views expressed in this blog are my own and NOT the views of the BBC.

11 comments:

Hildie said...

Ahhh, love the photo!
What are you gonna do with all the balloons, Ian? That's a hard task you've given yourself, mind! You'll not can talk and blow balloons up at the same time.... but I'll be jingling my sponsor money!
It sounded a good night at Stamfordham.... very poetically described too!

Vivienne said...

Hi Ian,

I thought I'd clicked on my Webcams shortcut by mistake!

I'm with you regarding balloons. They may look very nice, but they terrify me too, although I've always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon. I hope you make lots of money from your heroic efforts.

Talking of heroic efforts, are you still managing to keep off the dreaded weed?

I loved reading your account of your firework evening. I'm wishing I'd gone too. Maybe next year.

Hildie said...

I have been watching a programme about Mary Ann Cotton - yes, that one, that icon of murder Lawrence told us all about a few weeks ago. I also watched a programme about Stephanie Slater who was abducted in 1992 - so it has been a crime-filled night here! It all got me thinking about something I tried emailing Ian about a few weeks ago. I think maybe the email didn't get to him. Do you remember when Inga was trying to solve the Radio Devon puzzle, and we were making some pretty hopeless attempts at helping her? Well, one night I went onto the Radio Devon website and, amongst other things, discovered that they are doing a series of radio plays .... one of which happened to be about "Babbacombe" Lee - the man they could not hang. Ian has told this story on 'The Nightshift' in recent months. The point of all this is - I am wondering if he could borrow the play from Radio Devon and broadcast it on Radio Newcastle. Does anyone know if he would be allowed to do that? Do you know, Ian?!
Also, I may as well take this opportunity to ask if you have any plans to interview some of our Radio Newcastle weathermen on 'The Nightshift'? I'd love to hear their stories.
Night, night from Hildie.

Hildie said...

Inga, are you asleep? I'll just whisper in case you are ....
I'm wondering if Ian has yet revealed his plan for increasing traffic on the blog. I listened to the first two hours of 'The Nightshift' this morning but didn't hear anything about it. Perhaps you heard more of the programme than I did. I think this might be the week to do it, as it is very quiet on here at the moment. It was good to hear Ian's tribute to the soldiers who died in The First World War. My dad's father was one of them - John Robert Nixon - aged 29 years. He never got to be my Grandad in the real sense of the word. As a child my Nana used to take me to the service at the local cenotaph, she laid a wreath and I laid a small wooden cross that had a single poppy on it.

Ian Robinson said...

That's a very interesting idea, Hildie. I OUGHT to be able to 'borrow' Radio Devon's play about Babbacombe Lee, but knowing the BBC.....Anyway, I'll investigate.

Inga said...

Hildie, guess I was - didn't even hear you whisper. When Ian announced that this week would be sex week, I thought that there may be some comments posted on the blog about it. Whenever I do any kind of internet research somebody's blog usually turns up which contains one or more words of my query. Sometimes I then go to this blog to see what is being said about the subject. You see now why I - not Ian - thought that a subject such as sex week might increase the traffic :-) ! Even before that I was thinking about what kind of keywords we need to scatter around in the blog for people to find us. Therefore I suggested that Ian had come up with an answer!
Now you got me good and curious about Babbacombe Lee. Was he was from the Newcastle area?

Hildie said...

Hi Inga, it looks like I picked up the wrong idea about blog traffic - or, as we say over here, I got the wrong end of the stick!
John Lee was not from Newcastle, but from Devon. He is famous for surviving three attempts to hang him. He was accused (on very flimsy evidence, if you ask me!) of murdering his employer, Miss Emma Keyes. He was the only male known to have been in the house at the time of the murder and he constantly claimed he was innocent. This happened around the 1860s. We'll keep our fingers crossed that Ian can borrow the play from Radio Devon - and then you'll get to hear all about it!

Inga said...

In case you heard the song "What Did Della Wear Boy" and couldn't quite understand it all [I didn't some of it], here is what I found on the gundyville blog [see what I mean?]
"Without regard to phrasing and choruses, the lyrics went something like this:
What did Del-a-ware boy, what did Del-a-ware?
She wore a brand New Jersey, That’s what she did wear.
Why did Cali-fon-ya? She called to say Ha-wa-ya.
What did Missi-sip, boy? She sipped a Minne-soda.
Where has Ore-gon, boy? I don’t know; Al-as-ka.
Go ahead and ask her; she went to pay her Texas.
How did Wis-con-SIN, boy? She stole a New-brass-key.
Too bad that Arkan-saw, boy,
And so did Tenne-see
It made poor Flori-die, boy,
She died in Miss-our-I [misery].
Oh, What did Dela-ware, boy? What did Dela-ware?"
Ian also asked for possible compositions like it using English county names. He had made a start with Where did Dor Sit and something about playing her durham [?] - again I did not quite get that. I usually copy my comments to drafts where I can check my spelling but I was afraid I'll crash my computer with this comment!

Hildie said...

Morning! You've been very busy, taking notes, Inga. I've been such a sleepy head and missed all of that! It's clever, isn't it?
English county names may not lend themselves so easily - Worcester, Buckingham, Hereford, Hertford, Northumberland, Lincoln, Devon, Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, Bedford,
Gloucester,Cornwall,Somerset, Derby ..... no, they are not as inspiring as your American counties, but sorry I missed it all! I wish I didn't have to sleep! Did you ever send Ian that list of local place-names you had for him? They were really funny.

Ian Robinson said...

Yes, Hildie - she did, and they are!

Inga said...

Morning All - thanks Ian for letting Hildie know. Hildie, check the M&D blog to see what Ian did with it!