153

THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW YOU DIDN’T KNOW
75% of English teenagers don’t know how to boil an egg...
Komodo dragons are not just vicious - they’re venomous...
Taller men earn more money than shorter men...
Bob Marley’s closest British relatives live in Ilfracombe.

THE NEXT AGM
The last planned AGM disappeared down the plughole of oblivion, for the fact of which I apologise profusely. This means that we need to restore a semblance of respectability to the Honourable Society of Truckshunters by having another AGM sooner rather than later. I propose, therefore, that it takes place on Tuesday 4 August at 1100 or thereabouts.

Many venues have been suggested for our AGMs. The aborted one was to have taken place at Tynemouth Station Market (which is held every Saturday and Sunday). Other suggestions have included Durham City, Saltwell Park, Souter Lighthouse, Chester-le-Street, Milkhope...all of them excellent ideas which should last us well into the second year of shunting trucks.

I suggest, however, that the next AGM should begin at The Sage Gateshead (easily accessible by private and public transport) and should then continue by adjourning itself to BALTIC to see what unapproachable and incomprehensible rubbish is masquerading as Modern Art these days. Both of these venues have free admission.

Your views would be appreciated. But remember, you don’t have long.

LEST WE FORGET
Yet more sad deaths to report on and contemplate...

Henry Allingham died the other day at the age of 113. He was the oldest man in the world and the last RAF and British Navy veteran of the First World War.

Gordon Waller (pictured above, on the right, in 1964) has died of a heart attack aged only 64. He was half of the 60s pop-singing duo Peter and Gordon, who had important hits on both sides of the Atlantic with A World Without Love and Nobody I Know, both written for them by Paul McCartney.

CONTACT ME
Post comments on this blog or email me: truckshunters@googlemail.com

9 comments:

Maureen said...

I was also sad to hear the announcement of the death of Henry Patch today at the age of 111. He had been the last surviving soldier to fight in the trenches of Europe during World War I. He fought at the notorious Battle of Passchendaele in 1917, and was also Britain's oldest man following the death of fellow veteran Henry Allingham last week. Apparently he wouldn't talk about his experiences until he was persuaded to pass on his account when he reached the age of 100.
I hadn't heard about Gordon Waller, wasn't Peter Asher the brother of Jane Asher?

Ian Robinson said...

Yes, Maureen, Peter Asher was Jane's brother; it was because she was 'going out' with Paul McCartney that he wrote those tunes for Peter and Gordon!
Yes, it's sad that Henry Allingham and Harry Patch died within days of each other. On the Blue Bus programme, Paul and I featured a book called 'Forgotten Voices of the Great War' which included their recollections of the horrors of World War One. I've found it predictably galling that, amidst all the news coverage of their deaths, almost nothing has been said about their total and implacable opposition to warfare. Why am I not surprised by that omission?

mim said...

Hi, Can anyone help me I want to know where this comes from:
From the beginning of time I set all your days before you.

It might be slightly wrong .

Love Margaret x

Meg said...

Sorry Margaret, I'm don't know.

Regarding the AGM at The Sage, I will be able to go on that date but unfortunately any future events would have to be on a weekend for me as I will be returning to work soon.

Love Margaret

Maureen said...

Hi Margaret,
I've tried woogling that phrase (a cross between google and wikipaedia!) and can't find anything except that it sounds biblical to me. Any other clues please? We are quite good detectives once we get hold of a puzzle. I'll bet Sid is trying to find something on it!
Where is Gilly in her Miss Marples hat when you need her?

mim said...

Hi, I read it in a novel and I thought it was a quote from the Bible too. I wrote it down on my bookmark where I keep important bits of information but I didn't write down where I found it---duh!!!
I thought it would be nice to go on the plaque for mum's ashes as we have to write something on and as she was not very religious or sentimental it somehow seems to suit. I would have accredtied the quote if I was able to.

Love Margaret xx

Ian Robinson said...

Margaret...I can't locate the source of your quotation either. In troubling days gone by - and because I'm a non-believer - I used to find uplift and comfort in the pages of Kahlil Gibran's 'The Prophet'. There may not be anything there usable as an inscription, but I still find his words extraordinarily liberating and I hope you do too.
X

Unknown said...

How the hell does this thing work? Can anyone hear me?!!!

Maureen said...

Hi Paul,
lovely to meet you on here. We're on t'other side, posting 158, we'd all love you to join us.
(You may remember me, Mo Truckshunter?!)