Oh b****r

THURSDAY 10 APRIL

THE THINGS WE SAY
As you know, I’ve always been fascinated by the way people around England use their native tongue to express themselves; the many ways in which the rich sounds of English have been twisted, warped or otherwise manipulated into accents that are often almost - and sometimes, completely - unintelligible to ‘outsiders’. A Tynesider waaks to wawk while a Teessider wawks to wairk. In Sheffield, ‘going down the road to the school’ emerges mysteriously as goo-in darn t’roe-ad to t’skoyle and ‘Monday to Friday’ becomes ‘Monday while Friday’.

Outsiders who say that some accents might as well be foreign languages are quite right. You can probabaly guess that German der Mann ist mein Vater means ‘that man is my father’. But how about Lancastrian artye witshert? This is strongly-accented ‘art thou wet-shod?’, the phrase often used to mean ‘is it raining outside?’ QED.

Things get infinitely more complex, of course, when what you are confronted with is a fully-grown dialect rather than a mere accent. Whether a dialect is obscure and unintelligible enough to be classed as a language in its own right depends, I guess, on how many unique words and expressions it contains and how they are used. A dialect word for ‘slow-burning coal’ is not as important in this respect as words for ‘hat’, ‘dog’ or ‘fire’.

Some dialects - very definitely including Northumbrian, and probably Tyneside Geordie, too - could easily be defined as separate languages; as different from standard ‘BBC’ English as Catalan is from Castilian Spanish. To possess utterly unEnglish words like dut and femmer is quite an achievement! (The north-east cannot decide what a dut actually is. On Tyneside, it seems to refer to a bowler hat; in East Durham - my homeland - it’s a woolly hat of the sort to which pompoms are sometimes attached.)

Finally, you may have heard me mention a few of the words I heard in Herefordshire on this morning's Nightshift. Here are a few more...
gawl - pry, snoop
killship - shamefaced
skith - minimal snowfall
spag - quarrelsome, argumentative
beethy - damp, soft
caddle - potter about
kank - bad temper
grault - ghost
I was also surprised to hear bait used in its north-east sense of ‘snack, packed lunch’.

Some years ago, a ‘dialect map’ of England was drawn up by some learned professorial types somewhere. One of the words they used to determine regionality was the word children use to excuse themselves temporarily from playing a game; where I come from, that word is skinch; in Sheffield, it’s fainites and in London, it’s kings. Why the words are so different from each other, or what their origins are, is anyone’s guess. What word did you use?

CONTACT ME
Post comments on this blog or contact me in any one (or more) of these ways....
ian.robinson@bbc.co.uk
ianstuartrobinson@googlemail.com
text 07786 200954 (while the programme is on-air)
call (between about 0545 and 0630 Monday to Friday) 0191 232 6565
Ian Robinson, The Nightshift, BBC Radio Newcastle, Spital Tongues, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE99 1RN

NOTE
Please bear in mind that the views expressed in this blog are my own and NOT the views of the BBC.

24 comments:

Hildie said...

We were always 'skinch' here in Dipton.
I just wanted to mention an odd use of language that I noticed the very first time I visited Kidderminster in Worcestershire. I had gone for the interview for my place at Teacher Training College ( we are going back many moons now, I promise you!) I enquired of a local the time of the next bus out towards the college. He told me it was at five and twenty past eleven.
I was fascinated. I didn't think it was the wrong use of language .... I was just captivated by the way our use of language varies.

gillian said...

hiya wondering if he got the sack...theres a word..!
the man in the digger..

hildie i,m trying to think of ians quirky sayings and i mentioned last night he would say "his best suit".. you then mentioned youve a photo of him in his best suit ..

i remember he had one very memorable saying about the time..
trouble is i can,t remember it..

listening about alison bests stencils.. they are lovely i,m lucky enough to have some..
night..

Sid said...

The next time I think I'm having a bad day I shall look at this picture....and laugh.

Sid said...

Its a bit musty in here. Shall have to get the duster out and give it a clean up. The way things are going we will need to use it before Christmas.

Blog Estate Agent said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sid said...

Hello everyone, glad the lights still work in here, but I'm afraid the milk's gone off.
If I have this right, there should be a new picture on my profile. It is the monument to all the children who died in the Victoria Hall tragedy. It shows a grieving mother holding her dead child.
How could I not have known about this terrible incident. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Loz.

Lawrence said...

Hi Sid...... found the new thread.... :-)

I know what you mean. I was amazed when I researched this story as I can honestly say I can never remember hearing about it at all.

It needs to be remebered and I'll be popping into Mowbray Park next time I'm working in Sunderland to have a look at the area 1st hand.

It must have been terrifying for those kids.

Off on a complete tangent.... as I am so expert in doing..... I think I need to start a diet.... waist size 42 and increasing... ohhhh no... 5 foot 7.... time to lose weight. Wish me well (I think I'm at about 15 stone - but I'll weigh up tomorrow.... toooo heavy that is for sure)

Cheerio for now.

Lawrence

Inga said...

Hi Everyone, this is in response to Maureens suggestions about recognizing the anniversary of the trial posting of the Truckshunter's blog.
I just heard Ian talking about the injustices of the honors going to so many people who do not deserve them and not going to those who do. How about the first ever Truckshunters honor. I am not familiar enough with what the letters like OBE and MBE stand for but I bet you guys could come up with something appropriate :-) !
By the by, have any of you ever had an almost-word in the word verification box? I have had the first 3 letters of my name and now I have "pyralsed" !

Maureen said...

So this is where you are!
Loz, I didn''t hear your Victoria Hall story but I am genuinely surprised that people, particularly in the the North East weren't aware of the tragedy. I thought that you might be interested in this link to the BBC news report from 2002 when the memorial was introduced as part of the Mowbray Park renovation. It's a beautiful Victorian park for those who don't know and they've done a wonderful job on it. Sid, it is indeed a moving experience to stand in front of the memorial. I'll send a picture to Vivienne to post. I'm going to pop over there today especially, hope it stays fine!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1925815.stm

Maureen said...

Don't want to be too morbid but there's a very sad account of the disaster, including comments from people who were there on wearside online :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1925815.stm
Well done, by the way Loz, for bringing it to peoples' attention.

Maureen said...

Sorry, I've just realised that I've repeated the link. This is what I meant to post:
http://www.wearsideonline.com/the_victoria_hall_disaster.html
Thanks to this conversation, I've just had a lovely stroll around the park which is starting to show its' autumn colours. I'll send some pics to Murphy and Dora, hopefully they'll post some.
Loz, I noticed the memorial to Jack Crawford in the park. Now there's another North East Hero!

Inga said...

just checked in to tick the box

Inga said...

Re: Puzzle
Someone just called in with the answer - FINALLY !
It is the plimsoll line on a ship.
I have never heard of such a thing but here's a link if you haven't either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterline

Hildie, that's why there was no third dimension!

Sid said...

Hello everyone,
Plimsoll Line....that was a surprise.
Maureen they are great photos, thanks. (And no vandalism.)
Loz, so you have a bit of weight about you, don't panic. If you intend to do something about it, do it now. Christmas is just around the corner, and you know what that can do to a waist line.
I'm lucky, the allotment keeps me in trim.
Inga that's a great idea of yours to make up an honour for Ian, I'm giving it some thought.

Inga said...

GILLY, we haven't "met" but I wanted to send you a great big THANK YOU for emailing BBC Tyne asking to have Ian's show but on Listen Again. As you probably know some of us have done so as well. No results yet but if we keep up the pressure, I think they'll eventually get tired of having their arms twisted and give in. Let's think positive and believe in the power of such !
[I posted this once before at the end of another message and it sort of hidden, so I sent it again].

SID - bet it won't take you long to come up with something.
Re: Plimsoll Line. Who, I ask you, would have known the answer except Navy personel or ship builders ?

Maureen said...

Hi Loz,
I'd just like to add my support to your 'weight issues' as I constantly struggle with my weight. I don't think I eat a lot, I just don't move as much as I used to. So I think Sid has the answer! If it's any consolation, I read recently that the silkworm consumes 86,000 times its' own weight in 56 days, so we've got a way to go! I'm trying to lose some before Christmas too. I'll be thinking of you.

Hildie said...

I tried to email Ian a local news story yesterday from a news website, I hope he got it. Did any of you see it on the local television news on Saturday night? I know it wasn't meant to be funny - but Liam (that's my son) and I , we just giggled and giggled. It was about the wrong man being released from Durham Prison. There were two men of the same name in the prison (a father and son) - the father was due for release, but they released the son! Can you just imagine how he must have felt?!! Anyway, after the day I had had with the kitchen window blowing out, it cheered me up no end! I never did find out the 'Secret of Seville', Maureen. I heard Ian say that there had been a kind of secret reason for going, and that he would tell us later in the week.
I'm depending on you now, for the revelation!
michael poulter was on the Dedication Show this afternoon and, after much searching(that had taken him three weeks) he had found Cliff Richard's "LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY" and played it for me. If I had known beforehand about Sid and Jean's anniversary if would have been a very appropriate song to play for them. Anyway, Michael proved himself a real star in that he kept on looking for the CD and eventually played it for me. Good as gold, isn't he?

Maureen said...

Hi Hildie, "Secrets of Seville" coming to you by email, far too steamy for the blog! Sid I think we've got the plot for the next bestseller!
Michael Poulter certainly put a lot of effort in didn't he? Wasn't that nice of him?

Inga said...

Hi Everyone, hope you heard Ian's announcement regarding the truckshunter's blog. We're supposed to keep our eyes open !!!!

Sid said...

Morning Inga, thanks very much for that bit of good news. Whatever happens has to be of great interest to us all. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Sid said...

Oh I nearly forgot, Loz appeared on Mike Parr's show this morning, chatting about speedway. Is there no stopping this guy. Well done Loz.

Hildie said...

I heard Ian's anouncement about 'Keep your eyes peeled' ....
I'm all excited now!

Maureen said...

Has anyone checked the NEW posting on truckshunters ...speechless again!

Maureen said...

I've got my breath back now. May I suggest that we all move 'upstairs' to the new premises in Seville? (This must be so confusing for newcomers to the blog) and Gilly if you are out there... please join us, we've missed you too!