Sue and me in Weobley, Herefordshire

THURSDAY 20 MARCH
ST CUTHBERT’S DAY

THIS BLOG....
I’ve only just noticed that you’re ‘back-filling’ the comment space on the blog; the number of responses on 6 March especially just keeps going up and up - and I haven’t even managed to read them all yet. It’s amazing to ‘listen’ to you talking to each other and to think that my humble Nightshift was responsible for all this lovely digital chat and interested friendliness. I’m chuffed to bits that you’re getting to know each other so well. I just wish I could join in!

You know what’ll happen soon, don’t you? Someone will suggest that you all get together somewhere sometime and have a Truckshunters’ ‘Do’ - a ‘Shunt’. When it happens, please don’t forget to invite li’l ol’ me.

GILLY....
Hit Counters
Naturally, I too would love to know how many people read the truckshunter blog and there are mechanisms for doing just that. They're called Hit Counters. They’re usually free and there are several available which would count blog-viewers. Unfortunately, I’m a bit of a technophobe - that’s why my computer is a Mac and not a PC. I’ve looked at all the Hit Counters that would work with the blog, and they all require me to ‘add code’ to it. I haven’t the faintest idea what this means or how to do it. I asked for help in a previous posting and I’m afraid that, until it is forthcoming, we’ll just have to live in frustrated ignorance.

Audio on the blog
I know I gave a solemn undertaking to investigate how to import audio onto the blog and so far, I haven’t. I’m really sorry about this; it’s just a question of finding the time to do it - as well as my aforementioned fear of the technology involved. Again, any help anyone feels they can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sue
Sue and I met in (we think) 1976 when we were working in Hackney Employment Office - part of the Civil Service, of course. She’s a lovely lady; kind, thoughtful, infectiously funny, articulate and loyal. Even though she has no internet connexion and so cannot hear The Nightshift or read this blog, she has contributed several off-beat items to both. Indeed, I returned from Hereford last week laden down with ideas and suggestions - including the new Where In The World quiz.

As you’ll know from my postings at the time, she was a great help to me last year when Nic died; indeed, his illness and death brought Sue and me closer together than we have been for many years. You’ll be hearing her voice again on the programme very soon.

By the way, I’ve told her all about my amazing truckshunters and she sends her warmest regards.

TRUCKSHUNTER POSTING
I’ve decided to treat Good Friday and Easter Monday as Bank Holidays so that I can spend a little more time with John and with my family this Easter. This means that the next blogposting will be on Tuesday 25 March - and it will have been written by Sid! I received his draft today and will post it next Tuesday. Thanks Sid.

CONTACT ME
Post comments on this blog or contact me in any one (or more) of these ways....
ian.robinson@bbc.co.uk
ianstuartrobinson@googlemail.com
text 07786 200954 (while the programme is on-air)
call (between about 0545 and 0630 Monday to Friday) 0191 232 6565
Ian Robinson, The Nightshift, BBC Radio Newcastle, Spital Tongues, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE99 1RN

NOTE
Please bear in mind that the views expressed in this blog are my own and NOT the views of the BBC.

11 comments:

Sid said...

Hello Ian, enjoy your Easter weekend, and rest assured that we aren't going anywhere without you.
We all know how hard you work in the pink palace, we just drift in and out of here while you are busy.
All of us I'm sure, gawp in amazement at the continuous high quality of your show, and that doesn't happen without a lot of hard work.
Thanks for everything you do for us.

Hildie said...

Hello, put your feet up, Ian, hope you have a good weekend. Do you not find that, in doing all this work at home, you actually work longer than you should do?
Sid .... I really appreciate what you have suggested, thank you. However, please don't be surprised if I have to give you that yell! I understand that 'Secrets' is scheduled for around 1:30 a.m.
It was maybe Tuesday morning, 1:30ish, that Ian said "Listen out for 'Secrets of the Sea' on Friday's programme around this time."

Hildie said...

Forgot to mention I can quite often be wrong!

Hildie said...

Weobley is a weird sounding placename. I wonder how it's pronounced. I wonder what it means.
I wonder why I wonder these things.
I wonder if it's Ian Robinson's influence. I wonder if I should have put a question mark at the end of those sentences. I think they are statements and not questions, though I still wonder.

Lawrence said...

Oh ain't modern technology great.

Here's us all listening to the Nightshift, engrossed in the 1st installment of the Secret of the Sea.... into a music break....and darn it... the autoplay computer goes wrong hence BBC Radio 5 Live automatically taking over.

What a disappointment - cheers computers.

Don't think they have technicians on hand through the night either to put it right.

Guess we're stuffed for the night :(

C'est la vie.

Any how Ian.... enjoy your Easter and the very same sentiments to the Blogsters extrordiaire one and all.

I think Ian could be quite correct that we 7 should meet up at some point....any thoughts?

Maybe Ian we bloggies (I'm trying new adjectives here) could pop in to the station as a group someting for a bloc-interview?

Lots of scope and I can't wait to hear your next challenge for us too.... maybe it's build an un-freezable radio computer.

Ahhh well.... 5 Live's still on :(

Hope this doesn't muck up the flow of the story should other chapters have been planned for this Friday morning.

All the best gang... hope you're all well.

Lawrence (bring on the chocy eggs !)

Hildie said...

Thanks, Loz, for being on hand with the explanation of what has happened. Heck! I was just bamboozled!

Lawrence said...

No Problem Hildie,

It's a software system called Radioman and it holds all the jingles and digital music tracks that is the basis of most programmes these days, and it can be programmed to play out pre-records at a precise time.... i.e. the Nightshift kicks in at exactly 1am and runs till Ian takes over again, but it's happened at least once before where this programme crashes or freezes or just stuffs up and halts the pre-recorded sequence.

All the studios are linked to a timer and if there's enough "dead-air" time passing by (1 minute??? maybe) then the studio system automatically switches the output to 5 Live and .... we're still listening to it now so I have a feeling it's like this till the live stuff takes over again later on.

Cheers

Loz (Grosvenor's being very mischievious tonight.... very funnt to watch)

Sid said...

Morning everyone.
What a shame about the 'Secrets of the Sea'. Ian gave us such a great introduction this morning, his story telling was wonderous, and then after the first chapter it went pearshaped, just as Loz described.
I think all continuity has gone out of the window. I'm sure Ian will re-run the story as soon as he is able. He will be more disappointed at the technical failure than we are. These things happen.

gillian said...

hiya everyone, freezing here windy suns out but very cold its gone very dark which i think means snow.

ian ? ta about the hit counter. ive no idea how to get one to work but its worth pursuing,
i bet the number would be high.

if you all get together it sounds a wonderful idea.
my health wouldnt allow me yet but id love you all to meet up, i,ll be there in spirit,,
and please mark me down on the guest list for the future cos i,ll be there.
one way or another.
and what a day it,ll be..
first of many hopefully..
so don,t forget me..

lawrence knows his stuff...

gillian said...

forgot sue has a lovely speaking voice..good photo ian..
there are 2 blackbirds and 2 bluetits trying to nest. blackbirds in the holly bush bluetits in my birdhouse which i wanted to stencil last year.
ive had to sign a contract saying no more... family wren,t happy.
i,ll post some pics on picklers site..
toodle pip

gillian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.