Ryan's Angel

TUESDAY 4 MARCH

ER...
Hello.

I’ve been reading and re-reading your comments over the last week or so - since the Seventieth Posting, in fact. I actually printed them all off to give myself some bedtime reading but they kept me awake - all 48 pages of them! I’m not kidding - they’re AWESOME. Naturally, there are way too many points made, stories told, memories recalled, jokes, inside information, puzzles and games, questions and answers for me to respond to; suffice to say that there wasn’t enough margin left on the paper for me to scribble my notes on.

Your comments on the last blog were just the same - including the useful recipe Gilly has given us for Mud Pies. And all because of a US State Congressman who couldn’t possibly ever have imagined where his annual marigold proposal would end up!

I think there are two lessons to be learned from your comments subsequent to 15 February.

Firstly, drafting a posting for the blog will be on the same basis as making comments on it is now - it will always be entirely voluntary (except, of course, for my shameless invitation to The Ratmaster to get the ball rolling). No-one will EVER be ‘put on the spot’ to make a contribution if they don’t want to, or feel they can’t. Nor will they EVER be criticised for the decision they make.

So relax, Maureen. You will be as dear to our hearts in the future as you are now - whatever you decide.

And to those who’ve already decided to give blogpost-drafting a whirl, remember - we aren’t a critical bunch anyway. All I’ve ever noticed pass between you all is warmth and welcome.

Secondly, I found your comments about time constraints interesting. I’m sorry to ‘harp on’ about it ( - why ‘harp on’? - ) but The Nightshift has no separate researcher, producer, writer and presenter. They’re all li’l ol’ me. At times, I have to admit that the blog has threatened to take over whole days of reading and responding. So I’m glad that you, too, are beginning to see how the good company - the wit, wisdom and fellowship - can easily start to encroach on time that should be spent elsewhere doing other things!!

I’m not complaining. I’m just ‘relieved’.

So please keep the ball rolling in whichever direction you like. I love it. But please remember to keep me informed so I can join in! In the meantime, this blog will continue to appear with - starting on Thursday - occasional contributions from truckshunters.

Yes, Lawrence, I’ve received your draft. Be prepared, everybody - and be sure to set aside plenty of reading and responding time on Thursday!

One final point. I know perfectly well that a lot more truckshunters than the Magnificent Seven have been enthralled by recent developments on the blog. So who are you? Where are you? Speak a little LOUDER. We want to hear from you!

Speaking of which.....

RYAN
I’ve had an email from Ryan, who popped up on the blog last week. Remember him? He’s the guy who’s moving to Alton (in Hampshire) in a few days time. I hope he doesn’t mind if I reproduce some of it here.

'I thought I'd drop you a quick email with a pic attached, as I seem to remember you were interested in seeing pics we, the listeners, had taken. Anyway, despite lots of dramatic pictures available of the Angel of the North, I managed to bag myself a wonderful snap of the angel, just as the northeast was being enveloped in the soft white mitten of a snowstorm. You can barely see the ginger-cake colour of the angel, as the storm picks up.

I have been meaning to email to thank you for your wonderful Christmas Day show. I hadn't had a very good 2007, and was simply going through the motions of Christmas, without really enjoying any part of it. I tuned in to BBC Radio Newcastle on Christmas Day, which is what I do most days, as I love the station ever since I lived in Newcastle. It's a reminder of happier times, and a great comfort on occasions. And of course, when I tuned in, your show was about to start. I spent the following hours, doing very little other than drinking tea and smiling, as you and the people up there, lifted my spirits and gave me a great start to the day.

I spent the rest of the day at my sister’s, with her loving family surrounding me, and I enjoyed every moment of it. The best Christmas for a very long time.'

Aren’t ‘the soft white mitten of a snowstorm’ and ‘the ginger-cake colour of the Angel’ lovely images? And isn’t the picture itself a stunner, too?!

CONTACT ME
Post comments on this blog or contact me in any one (or more) of these ways....
ian.robinson@bbc.co.uk
text 07786 200954 (while the programme is on-air)
call (between about 0545 and 0630 Monday to Friday) 0191 232 6565
Ian Robinson, The Nightshift, BBC Radio Newcastle, Spital Tongues, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE99 1RN

NOTE
Please bear in mind that the views expressed in this blog are my own and NOT the views of the BBC.

11 comments:

pickler AKA G8XGS said...

hi truckshunters from all over the world.

my next most important task is to have a meeting with our "gaffa" but that will have to be when i am next on "vacation" AKA time off "holiday" i did have it in mind to go and visit at the "pink palace" during my week off (last) but for some reason at least on the later half of the week these "newcomers" into ham radio
aka "waygood radio.org" took center stage.


however let it be known that a personal visit from me is on the cards , its just a case of when !

and with a bit of luck well before before:-
his worship
our lord and master
the truckshunters gaffa
our schools headmaster
he who must be obeyed

and before i dig in too deep i am quiting .

no not the truckshunters just the promotion of himself the "kilted one"

one day we might get together him with his kilt and me with my klit skirt.

gillian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gillian said...

hi everyone and ian?
ive popped in and out all day hoping for a new post,
when i spotted the angel i went "oohh" goggle eyed,
thats an exclamation of excitement.....
I love a photo, and it is lovely.

I enjoyed reading ryans email,
his description of the weather that day, the colors of the angel, snow flurries, ect.

and also how he sat listening to the show on xmas day drinking tea,
it gave me prickles as i did exactly the same thing.

sat in the chair supping endless cups of tea,
smiling, singing along,
tearful,
all range of emotions in the space of a few hours.
it was the bright spot in my day..

I rushed everyone through the present opening ritual so i could be tuned in by ten.
although here we don,t call them presents they are "xmas boxes".

lovely too to see my mud pies up there on your post, you made me a very happy lass. thankyou.

just how i manage to get from a very important american gents desk to my mams back garden in summer beggars belief, but thats the power of memories for you,
timeless...
bye 1 of the mag 7..

Lawrence said...

Hiya gang,

Ian, Ryan's photo of the angel is a wonderful image indeed, one of the best, and his use of the English language is a perfect example of how it should be used and how it can paint a thousand pictures with only a few words.

Enlightening.

Glad you got the blog Ian, I look forward for other Truckshunters copy too.... can't wait.

Lawrence

gillian said...

lawrence? where have you been on your travels lately?

sid? allotment update..

hildie. i heard you on the late show, hope the kids are ok...

maureen ? we havent carried on shameful for a while..have you got the feather duster out?

pickler.. you need to post some more pics for me to look at on your blog,
"dougal"? has he been eating cereal? thats my next mission to figure out what was in the box.
your radio stuff mystifies me...

ryan..id like to know where youve moved from please.. it,ll.. be like another part in a jigsaw..
do you mind,
is it america?

kev?. hope you are ok,

are you all too scared to come out?

.its freezation in meadowfield..
i went to sleep listening to ian, woke after 5am earplug still in but sadly missed a lot..

Im thinking of a suitable post..it,ll just be me waffling on.. it,s all i know.

Ive always done it, ive wrote since young, diaries, jotted stuff down, in "jotters" of course,
ever since we were each given a school penpal mine lived in ohio, we sadly lost touch when i moved to the "big" school.

which reminds me ian i always wanted
a new uniform and go up to the "posh" school on the school bus, you,ll know the very one,
i nearly had to be taken away when the letter arrived informing mam i was to go to our local.

dreaded it cos the rumour was new recruits heads were put down the toilet on the first day..

anyway ive always jotted words down on paper it saves speaking,
a bit like a clanger,
they whistle instead of speaking.

bye bye all..one of the mag 7.

Sid said...

Hello everyone,
I agree Ryan, one of the better photo's of the Angel.
Gilly,
I have been to my allotment, and am currently trying to outfox a rat, if you know what I mean. This blighter is coming into my greenhouse/shed and having a jolly good nibble at my seed potatoes. Last year it was the peas. It must carry a rope, the bench is quite high with the spuds on it.
Ian,
Seeing as how I was to blame for encourageing this merry band to keep your blog going whilst you where away, I thought it only proper that I should send you some thoughts for the front page of your blog. The draft should be with you by now.

gillian said...

hiya everyone,

sid...? good to hear an update about your allotment, i imagine it,
especially the little blighter climbing the rope, but sadly not about your seed taties being munched.
I,ll say no more cos grosvenor our lovley mascot might worry.
wouldnt want that.
i,m looking forward to reading your thoughts on the post.

and i,m hanging by the neck waiting to read what lawrence has come up with for tomorrow, i,m trying to imagine what topic he,s
picked and im blank.

I though speedway? piano,s? then drew a blank, which is good, surprises are best.

Ive had a few thoughts but nothing worth bothering with so i,m waiting for inspiration......
tick tock..
thats my brain ticking over...
i,m sure once we get going we,ll settle into it..just like the community blog.

bye 1 of the mag 7

Hildie said...

Hi Everyone,
Good lad, Sid,I think you should have my 'Star of the Day' sticker!
Did you know Ian has another week off next week? I heard 'The Nightshift' early Tuesday morning and he said so then.
Gilly, did you work out what I was doing when I sent text to Jamie on Monday night? I wanted to know if Ian was coming on at one o'clock - you know he had a few days' leave - and I was confused about when he would be back. Anyway, I sent Jamie the list of Motown Artists that he was asking for, and added my query about Ian. At least, that way, I knew it was worth waiting up! I heard a couple of hours of 'The Nightshift' - I do enjoy it, but am sad about the parts I miss. Has no one ever invented a really, really long audio tape?
He was funny , Ian, reading the Mills and Boon book on Tuesday morning. I have never read one so it was quite an eye-opener!
Ryan's Angel is great, a refreshingly different view. Hope he keeps in touch after he moves.
I'm just going to form the nucleus of a queue for writing a front page for the blog - is anyone planning to have a go after Sid? Are you going after Sid , Gilly?
We should get organised.
I'm looking forward to Loz's blogging. I expect he'll be deserving of tomorrow's 'Star of the Day' sticker!
'Bye for now.

gillian said...

hi everyone..
hildie? yes i got it that you,d sent a list of motown artists,
i was applauding you, to think you,d texted all that,
cos i find texting a nightmare.

I can,t give a time just yet for my post cos i can,t come up with anything, i,m ok on here but how do i come up with a proper sensible bit of writing. ?
answers on a postcard.

I think if we send in when we can ian says that will be fine, no pressure, that sounds good..i,ll be last i think, im chuckling at that..

mills and boon have moved with the times very modern and quite risque, bodice rippers the correct term i think...
eye openers to the uninitiated.

they are quite a good read,
my friend put me on to them sent me bagfulls up,
i like the idea of a story chain, you can have fun with it anyone just adding a few lines as and when, then the story shoots off in wild and wonderful directions.

bye good to hear from you all...

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone,

Firstly, thank you Ian for putting up my pic of the Angel and my email. Christmas morning was made perfect, by listening to Ian's show. Like Gilly, I was all smiles and tears listening in from Hampshire. Thank you all for your lovely comments.

Well, there's just about a week to go before I move to Alton, and now I'm getting nervous. I keep expecting everything to go wrong, but I'm sure it will be fine. So, expect ongoing reports from the lovely county of Hampshire.

Bye for now every.

gillian said...

ryan ? it,ll be lovely to hear updates from hampshire.

good luck with the move.
bye..