WEDNESDAY 27 FEBRUARY

A little late, maybe, but hey - what’s a day between friends?

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN
Right. Sit up straight and pay attention, class. Maureen, Hildie - stop looking out of the window. Gilly - stop scribbling. And you boys - stop swapping notes under the desk (if that IS what you’re doing).

George.....don’t do that.

(At this point, I was going to say ‘Sid, this is, after all, all YOUR FAULT so come here and bend over!’ - but I realised it could easily be misinterpreted, especially by Sid himself.)

Any way.....The Gaffer has something to say.

As you can imagine - indeed, as you all know perfectly well - I’ve spent the last couple of days reading and re-reading your comments on the Seventieth Posting AND those you’ve made on yesterday’s. I have spent the last three hours printing them all out so I can carry them around with me and make notes in the margins. No, really! 30 pages of close-lined 10-point A4. The most obvious conclusion is....that it’s going to be utterly impossible to shut you up from now on. In fact, I sincerely hope that you will NEVER shut up from now on. Is that clear?

For what they’re worth, here are the thought processes that have been going on in what passes for my brain.

As I’ve already said - it seemed to me that, with the many meanderings and investigations and explanations and self-revelations you’ve all been making, you’ve kind of left my trivial witterings way behind. You’ve raised the bar by several captivating notches and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed trying to catch up. (So, incidentally, have several of my BBC colleagues - including Alfie Joey, who sings your praises loudly and often; if you’re awake during the day, get in touch with him - he’d like that very much.)

I will try to respond to as many of the points you’ve raised as I can but it will take time. To start with, though, I am genuinely sorry I didn’t mention the AV Festival. I’m one of its biggest fans but it simply fell by the wayside imposed by time constraints. In any case, I would heartily recommend that you go along to any event/display that you can get to. But do you see what I mean? There’s LOADS of stuff I want to respond to!!!

(George.....don’t do that.)

From some of the comments you’ve made, I know that many of you must be aware of my predicament; indeed, you’ve already suggested ways we can take this ‘palace revolution’ forward - by keeping things the way they are, by adding a new Mag 7 element to the blog, by trying to mix contributions in some way, by setting up several different blogs or by setting up a brand new shop as a Yahoo Group. Each of these has its attractions and I’m grateful for the obvious thought you’ve given the matter. But, after much serious loss of sleep, I have a different suggestion....

YOU will write the blog.

STOP chattering!

I don’t mean you will write it every day. What I’m proposing is that, say, once a week or so, one of you will compose the blog on any subject that takes your fancy - from collecting teapots via tuning pianos, living in Alton/New Zealand/Illinois, mending cars and re-living schoolday memories to board games, feeling ill, allotments and Highland cattle - with all points in between (including puzzle-setting!).

I can almost hear the shrieks of horror from here but you only have yourselves to blame. You’ve already shown that you can interact, expound, investigate and otherwise expand on ANY subject AT ALL. Its your senses of curiosity, wonder and humour - and your collective experiences of Life, the Universe and Everything - that sustained the chain of comments that follow the Seventieth Posting (and, I notice, the Seventy-First!)

All you need to do is draft your posting and send it to me at the BBC or here at home - or both. I will then post it for you. I promise that I won’t edit your draft (unless it's illegal in some way) - knock me down with a feather if I do.

And you needn’t worry about spelling or grammar. I’ll correct any errors I notice ( - not that MY postings are exactly models of the English language). So you can relax on that score.

As Grosvenor’s manservant, Lawrence should go first.

Be quiet Lawrence! I won’t take No for an answer.

So let’s give it a try, should we, class? Lawrence.....send me a draft of the posting due next Thursday, 6 March. (I’m trying to make this sound like an instruction rather than an invitation!) We’ll take it from there.

I hope that, even if you don’t fully agree with this method of taking the truckshunter family forward, you’ll join in the fun anyway. If we don’t try it, we’ll never know, will we?

In the meantime - and if it doesn’t work - we will still have Pickler’s idea of a new Yahoo Group to think about.

One final thought....

Remember how I once remarked that I missed the face-to-face contact I became accustomed to on the Big Blue Bus? Well, reading your comments has made me desperately curious to meet you, if only to put faces to names. So I’m now going to dream up a rough schedule of visits - either you to me here in Spital Tongues or me to you wherever you may be (except Alton).

You have been warned. And again, remember - you only have yourselves to blame.

George.......

RYAN
I echo my fellow truckshunters' good wishes, Ryan. I hope all goes exactly as you would wish. A friend of mine used to live in Alton ('farmstead by the alders') and recommends it. Why not tell us how the move goes - and what your first impressions of the town and its people are - here on the blog?

CONTACT ME
Post comments on this blog or contact me in any one (or more) of these ways....
ian.robinson@bbc.co.uk
ianstuartrobinson@googlemail.com
text 07786 200954 (while the programme is on-air)
call (between about 0545 and 0630 Monday to Friday) 0191 232 6565
Ian Robinson, The Nightshift, BBC Radio Newcastle, Spital Tongues, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE99 1RN

NOTE
Please bear in mind that the views expressed in this blog are my own and NOT the views of the BBC.

8 comments:

Kev said...

Well, I would never have thought of us writing the blog in a month of Sundays ... still, it has its possibilities.
(I could use you as a sounding board for my new lectures on Laplace Transforms or Fourier Analysis, but, then again, we're friends, so that's a non-starter)
Happy thoughts and take care

gillian said...

hiya ian? loved reading your post, worth waiting a whole day for..

I enjoyed listening to the tale of grosvenors visit,on t.s.

lovely pic too,of you and lawrence, grosvenor has his mouth open ian....

ian...?i,m flabbergasted.
us contributing to the blog..?
i feel excited but also feel like running away,
i can usually waffle on and write for england you on the early show will remember and testify to this with gusto, i,m sure.

but when told to by the teacher i can,t..

i sat there blank while you were away,
sid had to encourage me...
i,m glad he did cos they are all grand people.

ian...? will you still be writing as always,? i hope so cos i enjoy reading your posts,
i look forward to them..
and looking at the pics too,
so don,t say no..

ian...? did you remember to bring unusual postcards back,?

wheres everyone else..?
hiding in the broom cupboard again..

ian ? who,s george,?
we don,t have a george..

bye. m/s marple, gilly gilly ossenfeffer, one of the mag 7..

gillian said...

kev? ive never heard of those things, laplace,..!
is it near lapland..

nobodys come back and said wether its true, that there were icebergs on the tyne..

bye.

Hildie said...

Have just read today's post.
Well, blow me down with a feather!

Sid said...

Well, what can I say...the governor has turned the tables on us good and proper this time.
I've already had the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" moment, and am now wondering what my witterings will be based upon.
Kev,
I had to Google Laplace Transforms(other search engines are available) to find out what they were/are. Can't wait for the question to come up on "Who wants to be a Millionaire"
Gilly the Robins are fine, I have a pic, will send it to Ian after the week-end.

Hildie said...

PLEASE SAY "YES."
Ian, I am wondering if my request might turn up on one of this weekend's programme's? I can't forgive myself for missing it last night. Maureen told me it had been on. Ian,I'm sure you're looking thinner. (That might help towards a 'yes'!)
Kev has been teaching me how to do gigantic letters.

gillian said...

hiya ..Ive just put what i think will be the "last post" on the 70th, unless anyone else fancies a go.?

maureen..?it was about the speed of light..i,m waiting of the answer..

sid? it,ll be lovely to see the robin pic..


anyone seen pickler gxs ?
bye all..
ps
i,m just carrying on regardless until i have notice to behave...

Lawrence said...

Hiya Truckshunters,

Evening Maureen, and thanks for the comments on the interview and indeed rats in general. They are a very misunderstood creature, and you know when it actually came to the black death all those years ago, more rats than humans died of the plague which was carried by the flea.... not the rat who was just the poor unwhitting messenger.

The fleas rode on the backs of the rats, gave them the plague and killed them, the the flea would try to find a new rat..... or human and so the terrifying sequence went on killing about 1/3 the population of Europe.... so we need to blame the flea, and as the saying goes, don't shoot the messenger.

Also Maureen I love your anagramatical discovery that Grosvenor Rat turns into a most appropriate alternative.

As regards nerves on the radio I have to be honest and say when you have such a top interviewer as Ian to guide things along that in it's own right gets rid of most of them - it's just like having a natter with a mate over a coffee with a black rat on your lap.

I've done a few of Paddy's shows over the years and a few sports ones with speedway too so the mics aren't as terrifying now to me as they were when I did my first "Who Knows Wins" quiz on a Saturday morning with that Tipsy Duchess being so suggestive from behind the glass....Oh as such an innocent lad I was shocked..... hmmm not!

Grosvenor really behaved well and as you can see from the new photo on this blog posting he's a poser too by looking right into the camera lense making sure he looks his best for his fans.

Now, Head Boy Ian, or is that Head Master?

Anyway..... Yes Ian, I'll have a blog bash in readiness for the Thursday March 6th posting - not that I actually had a choice in the matter of course, but I will be delighted to take up the challenge and aim to have the initial copy for approval with you by Sunday night / Monday morning at the latest - hope that's ok Ian? Now.... a subject....thinking cap on.

Gilly.... you'll have gathered that your question about my offspring and their future involvement in piano tuning was answered in the 2nd part of the interview, although Daniel has a younger sister too, Leanne, who has an amazing imagination. So it's pianos for Daniel and a career as a writer for Leanne.

Now.....I have a quick press release to write and send out for Berwick Speedway then i'll settle in an make blog posting notes.

Oh and I hope all's ok with you Ian, I hear Nick's covering the Nightshift tonight....

hope you're well!

Lawrence